Monday, February 7, 2011

My First "Dr. Sketchy's"!! The Camilla D'errico Show! Bad Drawings #63-73!!!

So a couple of weeks ago I went to my first ever "Dr. Sketchy's Art School", which is basically life drawing, but the models are posing dressed in a burlesque style (or so I understand).


I've been told every show has a different theme, and this time the Dr. Sketchy's theme was the art of Camilla D'errico. Well, that was reason enough for me to dust off my life drawing skillz and stare at half naked people.

I like Camilla's work. I first saw her art at a comicon 5 or so years ago on Main street in Vancouver. She had a table there where she was selling prints of her work. I saw the young girl sitting behind all the anime style art and asked just about the worst thing you can ask an artist:"Did YOU draw this?". I made up for it though by going to her art show the next night and buying an original piece for $150 bucks.

Her art hasn't changed much in the last 5 years. Generally she does paintings of cute girls wearing something on their head. But it's working for her, still really good, and I'll definitely buy her new book coming out, so good on her.

Anyways, on to the bad drawings!

The models were made up in the style of girls in Camilla's paintings. Photo credits to Ms. Heather Renney!




So this first little set (Bad drawings #63, 64, 65) were one minute poses. How much can one sweat when realizing they are super rusty/shitty at life drawing in a single minute? TONS. SO MUCH. Wow I was sweating.

I believe these next 4 drawings (#66, 67, 68) were 5 minute poses. I could be wrong though, I didn't write it down. Looks like 10 minutes worth of sketching to me. I'd be super sad if I found out they were 30 minute poses.



Just before the break, there was a prize round. To win the prize round, you had to somehow incorporate robots into your sketch. Check it out! Was bad drawing #70 the winner?!?!

Nope, I lost. But let me state it now. I WILL WIN A PRIZE ROUND AT DR. SKETCHY'S! THIS I COMMAND! (...or predict. Whatever.)

Oh, and a side note, not related to drawing (at all) - Right after the break was this super weird burlesque show where one of the girls awkwardly danced and then made sparks with a disk sander and a piece of metal.

I'm still not sure what I was watching.

BACK TO DRAWINGS! I believe this was a ten minute pose. Bad Drawing #71


Holding a skull! (#72)


From behind! And the last drawing of the night! (#73)


As I looked at my drawings at the end of the night, I thought to myself "well, not great, not terrible... sort of adequate?". And then I walked by Camilla's sketchbook...

Yikes. Glad I wasn't sitting beside her.

On the way out Ar got a postcard for Mika and had Camilla sign it.


So that ended my first life drawing since 1994. Wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I definitely need to do it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment